Saturday, October 15, 2011

Apparently people never grow out of dares

I discovered this while wandering through the forums on the NaNoWriMo site. There are multiple threads dedicated to adding random scenes, characters or lines into your novel for no particular reason other than comic relief. It's brilliant. The threads are worth it just to read through and imagine novels in which they would actually happen, even if you can't use them. And of course I picked up a few things that should fit nicely, seeing as I'm already planning on doing a random and off-the-wall plot. I was glad to find them.

And I worked up the first of my character profiles, at least partially. I'm excited that I'm finally starting to get something solid set down for this. Based on the rules of the event, you can't start writing anything that will actually be in the novel before November 1st, but you can outline, profile and plan details as much as you want. The dares help with the plot details, providing jumping points and ideas for supporting characters. I picked up a few running gags too, just for good measure. I think the next step after figuring out the characters will be building the world. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to finish the novel. I have this feeling that if I don't figure it out now, and have it tangible and dangling in front of me like a carrot throughout the month, I'll never end up finishing the thing. No bueno. I did figure out a title though, thanks to one of the other forum threads. It shall be called "History is Written by the Reluctantly Contracted." I think it's great. This is going to be fun...

Also, I think I'm finally recovering from my stupid wisdom tooth thing. At least, I ate a full, solid meal today for the first time since I got the work done. It was sooo tasty, and so worth it, even though I had to ice my jaw for awhile afterwards to kill the pain. It will be a long time before I take solid food for granted again.

No comments:

Post a Comment